Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ice + Cardinal = OOPS

You just never know how quickly things are going to change in your life.  I have been preparing and getting excited about my trip to Washington and Oregon on the 1st of November and was anxious to get all of my work done at school so I could just enjoy myself.  We had a "surprise" snow Thursday night but it was just a skiff so I wasn't concerned.  John plays Raquetball every Monday Wednesday and Friday at 6:30 AM and when he came home Friday he couldn't get up the driveway so he parked on the street.  I always have to be at work at 8:30 on Fridays for a meeting so he usually goes in with JJ and I leave ahead of him.  I'm sure by now you're figuring out what is about to happen..but where do the Cardinals come in? 

My sisters and I give each other cardinals all the time because right after my Mom died Connie was taking a walk in the woods and saw a male and female cardinal together next to the path.  She decided it was a sign that Mom and Dad were together and they are watching over us.  We are always on altert for "double Cardinal" sightings and as I walked down the driveway on Friday I spotted a gorgeous Cardinal in a tree in the neighbors yard and was intently looking for the female when my legs went straight up in the air!  I found myself flat on my back staring at the beautiful blue sky and was very impressed with myself that:
A:  I wasn't dead
B:   I wasn't unconcious (did hit my head)
C:   I hadn't broken my back or hips!
As I lay there I debated what to do...crawl back to the house?  Yell for help (no one would hear that!) or crawl to the car and go to work.  I opted for 3 and when I stood up my ankle hurt a little but I could walk.  By the time I got to work I was feeling a little woozy and the ankle was beginning to throb but I went to my meeting.  By the end of the meeting I could barely walk on my foot.  My boss genereously lent my a baseball bat he has in his office to use as a cane.  I continued to work until almost noon when the pain in my ankle just became too much.  At home, when I took my boot off, I knew that I had done some damage!  We plunged my foot into ice water (didn't have any ice so used snow!) and then into hot water on the advice a friend who is a basketball player.  After that fun ritual I planted myself feet up to begin RICE..rest,ice,compression and elevation.  Yesterday I had it x-rayed and it is not broken but severely sprained. I haven't  been able to put any weight on it until today and I have crutches and a nifty new fold up cane!   Now Emilie has two kids and ME to help through the airports! Maybe we'll be able to ride in those carts to our gate!
It is now in the hands of a loving Father in Heaven.  I have received a beautiful priesthood blessing and expect that the Lord will honor that blessing.  I will continue to do all I can to expedite the healing and he will do the rest so that this can still be an amazing trip!
Washington and Oregon, here I come, limp and all!








































3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry this happened right before your trip out here! I hope it will get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the fall. Those hurt. I do know first hand. just take it slow & easy & allow lots of extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed you, I heard you were in Newberg this week. Hope your ankle heals well, lucky you didn't break it.

    ReplyDelete