First we went to Gettysburg. We arrived after the visitor center had closed but we were able to sit with a friend for a few minutes and make our plans for the next morning.
We then drove around the battlefield (a small part) and climbed a tower on Culps Hill so that we could see the lay of the land. Over our shoulder you can see Big Roundtop.
As we drove along I couldn't help but take pictures of some of the State markers. They all look like they have been recently cleaned and they are amazing!
We had a wonderful evening walking around the old town, seeing the still present bullet holes from the battle that took place right in town, and feeling the spirit of the people who had to endure the horror of war in their own back yard. Seeing all of the graves on cemetery hill in the still of night with a lit american flag above them was moving.
The next morning we went to see the largest picture in North America, The Gettysburg Cyclorama. The painting has been restored to its original size and condition and it is amazing! It is a 360 degree, floor to ceiling, two story high painting that accurately depicts the battle of Gettysburg!

We then toured the museum (So much stuff to see and read!)and then bought a car tour of the battlefields so we can go back again and do the tour.You can spend days in Gettysburg and still have plenty to go back and see! Before we left we stopped to see President Lincoln in a different place!
We headed on down the road to Hershey PA and toured the chocolate factory! Boy has it changed in 40 years! Papa looks happy doesn't he?
Finally we were on the road and headed to Aunt Mins. We had a beautiful visit with her and I was able to record her talking to me about all sorts of family history and we got to see two of my cousings too, Betsy and Terri. Aunt Min is still sharp as a tack and her sense of humor is great as always. We stayed up until midnight and then got up in the morning and talked until almost noon. I can't wait to go back and see her again!! There are lots of family places and cemeteries that I want to visit too.
We then had to leave and stopped at one last place,Valley Forge. My sisters and I were there 11 years ago and I was surprised at the improvements that have made since then. We drove the whole park and stopped and looked at all the sites, the cabins were made to hold 12-15 soldiers and each group of soldiers built their own. It was here in Valley Forge that the Continental Army truly became an Army and left with the strength and solidarity to carry on the war.
This is the railway station that my parents came to on my mom's 21st birthday and their first date.
I have a picture of them standing in front of this very cabin.
It was a very nostalgic time for me to think of my parents charming beginning to their lives together that led to me being here and to actually walk and stand where they once did!
What a wonderful Ramble this one was and it is only the beginning of the season!!

What a neat adventure, looks like you had fun visiting your family. It must be neat to be close to so much history!! I am glad you got a chance to see your aunt Minnie, I have heard so much about her over the years.
ReplyDeleteI love rambling road trips. History comes alive for me when I visit the actual sites.
ReplyDeletehow exciting that you got to talk to great aunt Min!! I'm anxious to see your book when you're don!
ReplyDelete