Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spirngtime in Virginia


It is now spring in Virginia and the smells and sights remind me so much of my youth. The trees and flowers here are so beautiful! The red bud trees and dogwoods grow wild in the forests and the mountains are coming alive with the beautiful spring green!
It is noisier here in the spring than in Oregon because there are so many songbirds and I love it. My favorite is the sound of the Cardinal pronouncing that he is a "pretty bird". As you walk around town you can hear so many different bird songs as they enter mating season and call out to each other.
The weather here has been beautiful but it is getting a little on the warm side for this time of year. Yesterday it registered 92 and today is supposed to be much the same. It will settle back into the seventies next week, just in time for graduation!
Another of the weather changes that come with spring are the thunderstorms. People from further south say these are mild but compared to what I became used to they are something! I love the smell and the feel of the air as the storm is coming in and the wind picks up. I have fond memories of these storms because they remind me of my dad. We used to sit on the screened porch and watch the storms come in. Wow, how time passes! Yesterday I stood in the yard and enjoyed those feelings again.
From my vantage point in my new office I get to watch Spring arrive from the tops of the trees. Last week a squirrel was jumping from the top of a tree of a lower branch and just barely grabbed a branch. I watched him hang precariously there and wondered if they ever just fall to the ground. Finally he had enough umph to hoist himself up and disaster was averted so all was well.
I think a lot of times our lives are like that and we need to just hang on until we have the strength to push on again.
I love all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Cute background. I love how you posted about your dad! I don't know much about him and I really enjoy reading about your father and how you grew up!

    ReplyDelete