Dad and I were responsible for a ward activity Friday night and it went really well and we FORGOT the CAMERA!
We had the first Rockbridge Family Stomp where we had a couple teach us how to Flat Foot dance, and a very pregnant sister (due in 2 weeks!) teach us line dancing. We had people make Brunswick Stew (most had never made it before) and fruit cobblers with ice cream and a great time was had by all. Family dances used to be popular in the church and we decided to put one on. It was such fun to see the Dads and Moms dancing with their kids and each other!
I made Brunswick stew for the first time so I thought I would share the recipe I used along with a little history.
A crock-pot Brunswick stew recipe, made with chicken, corn, tomatoes, okra, and seasonings.
Ingredients:
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
• 1 can tomato paste, (6 oz.)
• 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
• 1 1/2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed
• 1 cup corn kernels, frozen thawed or fresh
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 dash ground cloves
• 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
Preparation:
In slow cooker, combine tomatoes and tomato paste; stir to blend. Add chicken, frozen succotash or sliced okra, corn, onion, bay leaf, salt, rosemary, pepper and cloves. Stir in chicken broth. Cover; cook on lLOW for 5 to 6 hours. Before serving, remove bay leaf and stir well.
Brunswick Stew:
Brunswick Stew is a southern concoction that dates back to the early 1800's. Two southern states, Virginia and Georgia both claim it's origin began with them. However, I must yield to what the history books tell us.
According to Virginia's history a political rally was held in 1828 for the Democratic party candidate Andrew Jackson, at the home of Dr. Creed Haskins, which was located on the banks of the Nottoway River. The story goes that Dr. Haskins asked his cook, Jimmy Matthews to make a pot of his hunters stew that was usually cooked while on hunting trips. The original pot contained squirrel meat, onions, stale bread and seasonings.
The political rally was a success and Andrew Jackson was elected, the stew was a success and Brunswick County's name was given it. The recipe was copied and served at many church functions, family reunions and every celebration from picnics to fund raisers. The ingredients were changed by replacing the squirrel with chicken but the basic stew remained the same.
My sister Mary and her husband Bill came and it was fun!!
A Tale from Cruising Down Under
7 years ago

love it, I really like the new recipie! seems easy and also Alton friendly!! I am glad the activity went well!
ReplyDelete