Sunday, December 4, 2011

Such Devoted Sisters

Hope once made the statement that the longest relationship you have is with your siblings so we should always make the effort to be close to our brothers and sisters.  I have often reflected on that statement and it was one of the driving forces that made me want to live on the east coast.  I have been away from my sisters most of my adult life and wanted the chance to get to know each other better and to be able to be with each other on a regular basis.  Since I have come back here we have really sought to get together as often as possible.  It doesn't really matter where you go or what you do as long as you are together and you get to talk!  All of our husbands agree that they don't really "need to be around"( really means don't want to be!) when we are together!
Last year we had a real scare with Kathy and it deepened our appreciation for each other and for the fragility of life and how much we mean to each other.  After she was better we were able to take our vacation to the Greenbrier and had a great time: (you can check out my blog entry of 3/5/2011 if you missed that one)


This summer we were able to see each other on several occasions with the last one being JJ's wedding reception:

 All of us have our own opinions on a whole variety of issues and we try to respect those differences. We have all had ups and downs, triumphs and tragedies that have shaped and molded our lives.  Some we have faced alone and some together but we have always known that we have the love and support of each other. Coming from the same background of kind parents we all have grown to appreciate what we had in our family.  We understand certain traits that we share (therapeutic shopping, the art of a good deal, intense loyalty, strong handshakes!) even when others don't!
 This year we got together to have our sister time and our "cardinal obsession" (we keep saying we will stop!) was taken to new levels!!  We had such fun with our PJ's, robes and slippers:

I thought I would include the first picture of us together as sisters in pajamas.  Oh to be that thin again! Our dad gave us these!


We even cooked together this time..note the cardinal shirts..

I bring along a mayonaise jar with our picture on it that is filled with questions to help us talk about things that matter and to allow us to get caught up on lost years with each other.  Everyone usually groans when I bring it out but it is always so interesting to see how each answers. I love hearing what they feel and to learn of insights I have never had. This time we discussed "who in the family inspired you the most" and "If you could change any decision in your life what would it be". Interesting things to ponder! I'm still thinking on what I would change..so many decisions that could look "wrong" led to so many things that would never have taken place that were good!
Now Connie faces serious health issues but she knows she has the love, support and prayers of her sisters and somehow we will all get through this together. My sisters are precious to me and I see a little of myself in each one and we all see our parents in each other.  What a marvelous blessing Heavenly Father has given us, each other! Treasure your siblings...It is probably the longest relationship you will have.
 For your enjoyment:




3 comments:

  1. I've spent most of my adult life away from my sister too. I treasure the brief times we are able to spend together in our older years. New Zealand is a very long, long, way away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying again. Blogger ate my last comment.
    I'm glad you got to spend so much quality time with your sisters. I know it means a lot to you. I'm proud of you for taking pictures! Good job! Keep me updated on Aunt Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet. And I love that video!!

    ReplyDelete