. The other night our beautiful, antique walnut drying barn on our property on Zimri Dr burned to the ground. It took less than 5 minutes for it to collapse after having stood there for over 90 yrs. I was surprised with how devastating it felt to me. I was glad I wasn't there yet wished I was..
When we first saw the barn it was covered by blackberries and they were even growing inside. It was FILLED with junk and a lean to hanging off the side but John fell in love with it.
When we purchased the property the first thing John went to work on was the barn. He removed the lean to and chopped out the blackberries. Dave Haupt re-wired it, Wayne Barnett put a new foundation under it , John and John Andrews put a new roof on it (and a skylight!), gave it a new coat of paint and John lovingly turned it into his space.People on the road who had never noticed there was a barn there began to comment on it. He built the staircase for the house in that barn along with many other projects. JJ made films in there and kids played in it. It was even used for an Easter Egg hunt one year. It is so hard to think that it simply doesn't exist any more.
God's hand was there though. No one was hurt, it didn't spread to the house and even the electrical panel kept on working! The pump house and well were spared even though they sit right next to the barn. It appears that most of the little bunnies and chickens also made it out ok.
Here's what channel 12 news said http://www.dailydispatch.com/StateNews/OR/2011/April/15/Huge.Fire.Engulfs.Newberg.Barn.aspx Anybody know anything about that bar?
I am so grateful that we had so many wonderful years in such a magical place and it will always be kept in our memories and hearts.

Wow, Etta, that sounds like a major blaze. Do they know what started it?
ReplyDeleteI heard the commotion. It sounded like more sirens and fire engines than normal. I'm sorry your lost your structure, but like you said memories survived.
ReplyDeleteThey don't know yet what started it but will continue to investigate.
ReplyDeleteThat is just so sad! I am glad no one got hurt though but the barn was such a great part of that house!
ReplyDelete