In everyone's life there are people that you come in contact with that you know you knew before and that you already have a connection to. One of those in my life is Barb Finch. When John and I decided to purchase Curves in Newberg Barb was a member and she had applied for a job with the previouse owner and was promised a job. When she decided to sell, the owner stopped Barb's hiring but when Barb heard that we were buying it she was the first one to congratulate me. She wasn't asking for a job she sincerely was excited for us. She gave me a great big hug and I knew then that I wanted her working alongside me! Her vision and mine were the same and so along with Robin Boyles we set out to build our Curves. While working side by side we became close friends and we often spoke of our religious views to each other. We learned about each other's families and knew each other's pains and concerns. One day I asked if she and Clay would like to attend the Messiah that was being put on at church. She replied, "let me talk to Clay" and the next day she told me the answer to my question was yes. I had forgotten what the question was...it turned out it was one of the most important questions I ever asked anyone! As they say, the rest is history. She and Clay went on a fast track to joining the church and were baptized on Easter Sunday. Clay was baptized first, given the Aaronic priesthood, and then he Baptized Barb. What an amazing day! One year later they were sealed in the Portland Oregon Temple and we were able to have a reception in our home. Our lives are forever entwined.
Barb and Clay moved to El Paso Texas in July of 2007 and in October we sold Curves and then moved to Virginia. It has been three years since we have seen each other and last week we got together again! We have one of those friendships that when you are together it is like no time has passed.
We went to DC and saw the sites and talked and talked and talked!
Here we are at the Lincoln Memorial:
![]() |
| Abe & Us |
We saw all the major monuments and then headed out to Maryland where we went to the DC Temple visitor center and watched the Joseph Smith movie together (and cried together!). We wandered all over looking for a hotel and finally ended up in Silver Spring at the same hotel Dad and I had recently stayed in. In the morning we did some window shopping, ate at a great Irish cafe and then went to the Temple to do a session. It was very special to both of us and we loved being in the celestial room together.(We cried there too!) It was the first time Barb has been able to do a session since her beloved Clay passed away so we were glad we were together.
After Church on Sunday I took Barb on a little tour of the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway that is in the mountains just behind Buena Vista.
We promised each other that we won't let three years go by again! How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father that he is so aware of each of us and our needs that he puts special friends in our lives to help us along our way!



Me, I would die without my friends. Glad you had such fun with Barb. And I'm betting you meant Messiah, not Mosiah, right? That darn old spellcheck doesn't catch stuff like that!
ReplyDeleteI like your new background, the way it moves with the page. Pretty!
ReplyDeleteIt would be fun to see Mosiah but...thanks for the spell check!
ReplyDeleteEmilie found and put the background on after I had so much trouble with the "new blog background" feature. I like it too, I think I'll leave it alone for awhile!