Monday, August 23, 2010

Peaches and Porches

Well, it was Saturday and time to wander a little but this time we were on a mission.  About every two weeks we need to replenish our supply of peaches so it was off to our favorite place, Saunders!  This Saturday it was Blakes (yellow freestone) and Sugar Giant (white freestone).  This summer we have had Redhavens(yellow), Sugar May (white) and Loring (yellow).  They will have different varieties all summer and they are just starting to get apples and asian pears.YUMMM.


Every Saturday during the summer Saunders also has some sort of special event going on and this week it was Indian artifacts,especially Arrow heads and farming implements.  There was even one table with gold from the Atocha and the guy knew the finder (how that fits with Indians I don't know!) 
We wandered down the road and found a few good finds at a yard sale,
We stopped at a farm along the road to purchase yummy corn, tomatoes and homemade ice cream and then went on to one of our favorite places called the Shanandoah Heritage Market.  It is a collection of privately owned shoppes with most of them run by the menonites.  There is one whole shop of  homemade Jelly and Jam and they make it there!  We picked up one of our latest favorites, green pepper jam (great with cream cheese on crackers)!  We then traveled on to Costco and then headed home. (Costco is an hour away from home).  We then spent the evening with some friends playing a new card game for us, Nertz. It was fun! They just received their mission call to Texas!

The people of Buena Vista love their porches.  When the evening gets a little cool they sit on them talking to each other and passers by.  I thought I would show you some of the great porches here in town. I didn't take any pictures of the ones with people on them since I thought that would be perceived as rude.

Almost all porches have at least one Rocking Chair, usually two.  All the stores around sell these chairs and Cracker Barrell has hundreds of them!(and there is a Cracker Barrell at every exit on the freeway!)
And many times there is a swing
This is my friends house and the sign says, COME SIT ON MY PORCH
I love this porch and they always decorate it for every season
I love screaned porches and I call this house the "Virginia House" because it has the perfect structure and the perfect porch!(You can see SVU from the porch)

This house is owned by a member of the church and she just re-sided it...great porch!
This is a great screaned porch...I love the filigree
This house is owned by a woman almost 90 yrs old and she still lives in it!

There are many, many others in town...these are just on my way walking to Emilie's house!
Oh, how could I almost forget, the best porch in town!


I love the charm of this town!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is so cool, I love the cute homes!! I love the idea of a porch to sit on and just watch the world around. I really like the peach market! I would love something like that, I am sure they have one here but I still havn't found it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a home with a porch. Sigh. Oh well, we have a deck and that's almost as good, except there's nothing to watch. Of course, on our street there's never anything to watch anyway!

    ReplyDelete