Thursday, June 17, 2010

Smith Mountain Lake

After graduation we went up to Smith Mountain Lake for 3 days of relaxation and just all being together. Smith Mountain lake is a 40-mile long, 20,600 acre lake, with 500 miles of shoreline, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of rural southwestern Virginia;The damming of the Blackwater and Roanoke Rivers formed Smith Mountain Lake in a filling process that began on September 24, 1963 - and ended almost 2.5 years later on March 7, 1966. It was made to generate electricity.



All the houses are on the lake and Emilie and Logan even took Tommy swimming.




There were some huge catfish that would clamber for anything you threw in the water and one night we had a huge hail storm.

Dad and I went to Bedford to take Connie to do some family history and while she was at the historical society we went to see the National D Day Memorial which was very impressive.Bedford lost more sons on D Day per capita than any other town in America. So here, in this small town is a gorgeous memorial.




It was very peaceful and then the "Rolling Thunder" motorcycle group came through on their way to Washington DC. I have never seen sooooo many motorcycles in my life!
Our vacation was a little different than we planned because Connie and I both got sick on Friday and just slept for the last two days but everyone enjoyed being together and having time just to do what we wanted. We decided it is a place worth going back to.
By the way, for movie fans, "What about Bob" was filmed at Smith Mountain Lake.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memorial. A friend of mine posted a Rolling Thunder video on facebook, how cool to have seen it! And I want to know if those catfish go after your toes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't dangle the toes to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, by the way, when you put popcorn in the water they crawl all over each other to get to it. They are huge and UGLY! If you go to see Emilie's blog she has a good picture of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a beautiful spot, I am glad to see the pictures. I don't think I have ever seen a wild catfish, so fun!

    ReplyDelete